Welcome to the most northern pub of new Zealand. The history of the Houhora hotel dates back to the 1800's, where the original building was sited near 90 Mile Beach. It was purchased by the Evan's family and dragged to the current site "Saleyard Ave" by a team of bullocks.
A business and new township was established to provide hotel accommodation and bar facilities which was supported greatly by the gumdiggers, locals and tourists that visited the Far North. The boats sailed up the Houhora Houbour and moored near the hotel, where the height of trading Gum Northlands (GOLD) and other wares took place. This township also provided a post office, picture theatre and horse racing. The horse racing became a popular event and people travelled long distances to attend the race meetings.